Thyme (Wild/Creeping) Seeds
HERB-THYM-2-1Regular price $2.20
Urban Bounty's Wild Thyme seed packets contain approximately 1060 seeds - ideal for starting a small thyme lawn in your city garden.
What is Wild Thyme?
Wild thyme (Thymus Serpyllum - also known as Mother of Thyme, creeping thyme, or Elfin thyme) is thought to be one of the original varieties.
This variety is a low growing, broad-leaf perennial. It has tiny pink flowers and a minty aroma underfoot. It is a potent attractor of bees and will also help you keep the weeds under control! It is ideal for almost any style of garden from elegant, cottage, coastal and Mediterranean spaces to potted apartment gardens. Try it as a lawn substitute, ground cover, or between stepping stones.
How to use Wild Thyme in the kitchen
Thyme is frequently used in European and Mediterranean cooking. The leaves and blossoms can be used in teas, as part of a bouquet garni, with sautéed mushrooms and balsamic, or paired with roasted stone fruit in a dessert.
Easy-care thyme loves full sun and is happy in most free-draining soils (even poor ones!) Once established, it will tolerate a light frost, drought or the wind. It grows to about 10cm high, but does spread, so plant it with room between seedlings, and in a space where this doesn't matter.
Cabbage, tomatoes and aubergine are good companion plants for thyme.
- Transplant: Early spring - summer
- Wait until after the last frost when soil temperature is 18 - 25C).
- Wait until your seedlings have 2 - 4 true leaves before transplanting
- Spacing: 15cm apart (36 seedlings per square metre for a thyme lawn)
- Sowing depth: 6-7mm
- Keep soil moist but not soggy while germinating
- Germination: 14 - 21 days
- Plant matures 90 days from transplant.